Are you at wits end from scraping the payment together each month for insurance? Your situation is no different than most other consumers in Colorado.
Unthinkable but true, 70% of consumers have bought insurance from the same company for a minimum of four years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never even compared rates from other companies. Many drivers in the U.S. could save $860 a year by just comparing quotes, but they just don’t understand how easy it is to compare rates.
Big companies like GEICO, Progressive and Allstate persitently shower you with ads and it can be hard to not get sucked in by the cute commercials and take the time to shop coverage around.
You need to quote other rates periodically since insurance rates are constantly changing. Just because you found the lowest rate on Ford Expedition insurance in Denver at your last renewal you can probably find a better price now. There is a lot of bad information regarding Expedition insurance on the internet, but in this article, you’re going to get some good information on how to quit paying high insurance rates in Denver.
Shop Ford Expedition insurance online
Most of the larger companies such as Allstate and Progressive allow consumers to get insurance quotes on their websites. Getting online rates for Ford Expedition insurance in Denver is fairly simple because you just enter your coverage preferences into the quote form. After you complete the form, their system automatically retrieves credit information and your driving record and quotes a price based on many factors. Being able to quote online for Ford Expedition insurance in Denver streamlines rate comparisons, and it’s necessary to have as many quotes as possible if you want to find affordable prices.
If you want to find out if lower rates are available, take a look at the companies shown below. If you have your current policy handy, we recommend you copy coverages and limits just like they are on your policy. This helps ensure you will be getting a rate comparison using the exact same coverages.
The car insurance companies shown below offer price quotes in Colorado. If multiple companies are shown, we recommend you visit as many as you can to get a more complete price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Expedition SSV 2WD||$264||$368||$304||$18||$92||$1,046||$87|
|Expedition XLT 2WD||$182||$326||$388||$22||$116||$1,034||$86|
|Expedition SSV 4WD||$262||$454||$280||$16||$84||$1,096||$91|
|Expedition XLT 4WD||$172||$264||$308||$18||$92||$854||$71|
|Expedition Eddie Bauer 2WD||$240||$492||$388||$22||$116||$1,258||$105|
|Expedition Limited 2WD||$242||$426||$304||$18||$92||$1,082||$90|
|Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD||$184||$332||$304||$18||$92||$930||$78|
|Expedition King Ranch 4WD||$390||$538||$392||$24||$118||$1,462||$122|
|Expedition King Ranch 2WD||$252||$400||$308||$18||$92||$1,070||$89|
|Expedition Limited 4WD||$292||$534||$280||$16||$84||$1,206||$101|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Colorado minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, claim-free, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, and homeowner. Premium amounts do not factor in specific garaging location which can lower or raise insurance rates considerably.
Does it make sense to buy full coverage?
The chart below illustrates the comparison of Ford Expedition insurance costs with full coverage compared to only the Colorado minimum liability coverage. The costs are based on no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, single male driver, and no discounts are applied.
When to drop comp and collision
There is no set rule of when to eliminate physical damage coverage, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is 10% or more of the settlement you would receive from your company, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let’s pretend your Ford Expedition claim settlement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most your company would pay you is $7,000 after paying your deductible. If you are currently paying more than $700 annually for full coverage, then it’s probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
There are some cases where removing full coverage is not advised. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you are required to maintain full coverage in order to satisfy the requirements of the loan. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should not eliminate full coverage.
An analysis of deductible level
The diagram below illustrates how your deductible choice and can increase or decrease Ford Expedition yearly insurance costs for different age groups. The premiums assume a married female driver, full physical damage coverage, and no discounts are factored in.
Cheaper Denver car insurance rates with discounts
Car insurance can cost a lot, but you might find some hidden discounts that you may not even be aware of. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically at the time of purchase, but a few need to be inquired about before you get the savings. If you do not double check each discount available, you could be getting lower rates.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes prevent accidents and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- College Student Discount – Any of your kids who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Denver and do not have a car may be insured at a cheaper rate.
- Passive Restraint Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts can get savings of more than 20%.
- Anti-theft Discount – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are stolen with less frequency and will save you 10% or more on Expedition insurance in Denver.
- New Car Discount – Putting insurance coverage on a new Expedition can save you some money because new vehicles keep occupants safer.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Insuring primary and secondary vehicles with the same company can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Switch and Save Discount – A few car insurance companies offer discounts for buying a new policy before your current coverage expires. You can save around 10% with this discount.
- Government Employees – Federal government employees may reduce rates when you quote Denver car insurance depending on your company.
- Denver Homeowners Discount – Simply owning a home can earn you a little savings since home ownership shows financial diligence.
- Good Students Pay Less – A discount for being a good student may save you up to 25%. This discount can apply up until you turn 25.
As a footnote on discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. So despite the fact that it appears it’s possible to get free car insurance, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
Popular car insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are included below.
- Farm Bureau includes discounts for safe driver, 55 and retired, multi-policy, renewal discount, and good student.
- MetLife may offer discounts for good student, good driver, accident-free, claim-free, and multi-policy.
- Progressive offers discounts including multi-vehicle, multi-policy, homeowner, good student, online signing, online quote discount, and continuous coverage.
- AAA may have discounts that include good driver, multi-car, multi-policy, good student, anti-theft, and education and occupation.
- American Family has discounts for air bags, defensive driver, good driver, multi-vehicle, accident-free, mySafetyValet, and early bird.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for daytime running lights, anti-lock brakes, federal employee, emergency military deployment, and military active duty.
- State Farm discounts include Steer Clear safe driver discount, student away at school, good student, multiple autos, and defensive driving training.
Before buying, ask all companies you are considering to apply every possible discount. Discounts might not be offered on policies everywhere.
Buying from car insurance agents
Some people prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent. One of the great benefits of comparing rate quotes online is the fact that you can find the best rates and still have a local agent. And supporting local insurance agents is especially important in Denver.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, your coverage information is instantly submitted to agents in your area that can give you free Denver car insurance quotes to get your business. It makes it easy because there is no need to find an agent due to the fact that quote results will go instantly to you. You’ll get the best rates AND a local agent. If you want to get a rate quote from a specific insurance company, you can always search and find their rate quote page and fill out their quote form.
Types of car insurance agents in Denver
If you prefer to buy auto insurance from an insurance agent, there are two different types of agencies to choose from. Agencies in Denver can be categorized as either independent agents or exclusive agents.
Agents that elect to be independent are not required to write business for one company so they can write business with any number of different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. To move your coverage to a new company, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you don’t have to switch agencies.
If you need cheaper auto insurance rates, you will definitely want to get rate quotes from a couple of independent agencies in order to have the best price comparison.
Below is a partial list of independent agents in Denver that may be able to provide free rate quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents in the exclusive channel can only provide one company’s prices like Farmers Insurance or State Farm. Exclusive agencies are unable to place coverage with different providers so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive agents receive a lot of sales training on their company’s products which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
The following is a short list of exclusive agencies in Denver that can give you price quote information.
Picking a auto insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the premium amount. These are valid questions to ask:
- Is there a Errors and Omissions policy in force?
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- How often do they review coverages?
- In the event of vehicle damage, can you pick the collision repair facility?
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
- Has the agent ever had any license suspensions?
Components of Your Ford Expedition Insurance Prices
Many factors are used when pricing auto insurance. A few of the factors are predictable like your driving record, but other factors are less obvious such as whether you are married or your commute time. The best way to find cheaper auto insurance is to take a look at some of the elements that play a part in calculating your premiums. If you understand what determines base rates, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that could help you find big savings.
The following are some of the major factors companies use to determine your prices.
Your vocation may affect rates – Jobs such as doctors, executives and miners usually pay the highest average rates in part from high stress levels and long work hours. On the other hand, jobs like actors, historians and retirees get better rates.
Save money by eliminating extra coverages – Policies have optional add-on coverages that sound like a good idea at the time if you aren’t diligent. Things like roadside assistance, accidental death, and additional equipment coverage may be costing you every month. They may sound like good ideas when buying your policy, but if you’ve never needed them in the past eliminate them to save money.
Do you have enough liability coverage? – The liability coverage on your policy kicks in if ever you are ruled to be at fault for an accident. Your liability coverage provides legal defense which can cost thousands of dollars. Liability is cheap as compared to coverage for physical damage, so drivers should carry high limits.
Optional features that cut prices – Choosing to buy a car with an alarm system can earn a premium discount. Anti-theft devices like GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all hinder car theft.
Men are more aggressive – The statistics show that women are safer drivers than men. The data does not necessarily mean that women are better drivers. They both have fender benders in similar numbers, but guys get into accidents with more damage. Men also tend to get higher numbers of serious violations like driving under the influence (DUI).
Consider raising physical damage deductibles – Comprehensive and collision coverage deductibles are how much you are required to spend before a claim is paid by your company. Physical damage insurance, also known as collision and other-than-collision, covers damage that occurs to your car. Examples of some claims that would be covered could be rearending another vehicle, collision with a deer, and damage caused by road hazards. The larger the amount you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less money you will pay for auto insurance.
Small frequent claims are not good – If you are the type of insured that files lots of claims you can definitely plan on higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Insurance companies in Colorado award discounts to insureds who are not frequent claim filers. Auto insurance is designed for claims that pose a financial burden.
Save by driving cars with good safety ratings – Safer cars tend to have better insurance rates. Safe vehicles reduce injuries and lower injury rates translates directly to fewer claims and more competitive rates for policyholders. If your Ford scored better than an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website it is probably cheaper to insure.
Insurance loss data for Ford Expedition vehicles – Car insurance companies use data from past claims to calculate a rate that will offset losses. Vehicles that historically have higher claim frequency or loss amount will have higher rates for specific coverages. The next table illustrates the historical insurance loss data for Ford Expedition vehicles.
For each policy coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles, without regard to make or model, is set at 100. Values that are under 100 indicate better than average losses, while numbers that are greater than 100 indicate more frequent losses or larger claims.
Car Insurance Loss Data for Ford Expedition Models
|Specific Ford Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Ford Expedition 4dr 2WD||67||88||82||55||45||70|
|Ford Expedition 4dr 4WD||70||98||90||54||62||56|
|Ford Expedition EL 4dr 2WD||74||104||97||52|
|Ford Expedition EL 4dr 4WD||88||96||110||63||60||96|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Data Source: iihs.org (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) for 2013-2015 Model Years
Insurance is an important decision
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Ford Expedition in Denver, insuring your vehicle is required in Colorado but also provides important benefits.
- The majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires specific minimum amounts of liability insurance in order to drive the car. In Colorado these limits are 25/50/15 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your vehicle, most lenders will make it a condition of the loan that you have comprehensive coverage to guarantee payment of the loan. If you let the policy lapse, the bank may buy a policy for your Ford at a much higher premium rate and require you to fork over the higher premium.
- Insurance preserves not only your car but also your assets. Insurance will pay for all forms of medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay to defend you if you cause an accident and are sued. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance outweigh the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. An average driver in America is overpaying more than $700 annually so you should quote rates each time the policy renews to save money.
Auto insurance savings summarized
As you shop your coverage around, don’t be tempted to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are too many instances where drivers have reduced liability limits or collision coverage and found out when filing a claim they didn’t have enough coverage. Your aim should be to buy the best coverage you can find at the best price and still be able to protect your assets.
Some insurance providers do not offer online price quotes and most of the time these smaller companies work with independent agents. More affordable auto insurance in Denver is available from both online companies as well as from independent agents in Denver, and you should be comparing both to have the best rate selection.
Additional auto insurance information can be read at the links below
- Understanding Your Insurance Deductible (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Teenage Females in Denver? (FAQ)
- How Much is Denver Auto Insurance for Government Employees? (FAQ)
- Five Mistakes to Avoid (Insurance Information Institute)
- Steps to Take After an Auto Accident (Insurance Information Institute)
- Safety Belts FAQ (iihs.org)
- What is a Telematics Device? (Allstate)